Sunday, October 25, 2020

Brides of Dracula Gina

 This time around, I have Gina, from The Hammer Film's Brides of Dracula. As per the usual it's a 1/4 scale 2 part kit - the bust and the base. Sculptor Jeff Yagher once again nailed the likeness of  Andree Melly, who by the way just passed away in early 2020 at 87. 

Here the base coat is going on - dark hair, a light skin tone, and an almost white gown. Looking through lots of images, I saw she had light brown eye, bordering on green. I think the V paint English Uniform fits that bill, and will be what I'm using. Until then the eyes got their usual coat of black. 

With this kit, I tried a new technique of trying to get a more realistic skin tone. On other model builds on You TUbe, I saw other's when they want to weather, to apply a layer of thinner to an area, and then when they come back with some paint, it runs, spreads and dilutes, creating this uniform but uneven look. Why couldn't this be done with skin?  Vallejo paints won't respond well to thinner, so I took a brushful of V's Flow Improver. A heavy application of the improver resulted in the same look as the thinner - the paint spread and ran. Where the Improver was a little less, the paint spread a bit, but it could easily be manipulated with a ruined brush and some stippling.  Perfect? Nope. But I like the result and it was my first try.  I'll be using that technique more as I go thru my figure stash.

I sprayed a clear coat on the skin, and while that's drying I turned my attention to the base. It looks like the usual castle blacks of stone, but there are cutouts where someone was storing skulls. ;)

Going back to the bust I finished applying V's German Black Brown to her hair, and then gave the deepest areas a wash of Nuln Oil. All the pics have her with really dark hair, so I'll limit my applications of highlighting.


 That's it for now. Check back for the finish. Thanks for looking.

No comments: