Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Monster Scenes Saber Tooth Rabbit

This time around I dug out The Saber Tooth Rabbit from Monster Scenes. Monster Scenes was a series of kits from Aurora in the 70's. Originals are highly sought after, and a few of them have been reissued over the years. A few new-ish kits have also been released.

The Saber Tooth Rabbit comes with a dungeon floor, a chain and collar, and finally a huge block of rock which ties the Rabbit down. 
The instructions stars me out putting the Rabbit head together and then the body. I wasn't going to be too concerned about seam lines etc... as this was going to be a strictly fun build.  I got the head together and there was a gap around one eye that was just a little too big for me to ignore. Once again I got carried away and forgot to take pics along the way.  Here we have the whole kit built and fitted together to see how it looked -

I wasn't too crazy about the little dungeon floor base. Things were just a little too crowded for my liking. So I tried one of the generic wooden bases I had laying around - 
Still no good. So I started hacking up the dungeon floor and tried playing with the pieces - 


Meh... I'll have to think about it. While thinking I started painting. I wanted the Rabbit to look like a normal bunny except for his killer fangs. So I tried to paint him cute - 




I had to make him psycho, so you may notice the red eyes! Yikes!
Turning to the anchor. I painted it gray, then a black wash. I also gave the metal parts a dusting of rust - 
Back to the dungeon. In the end the only thing I kept was the floor drain. The floor was made out of cork glued to the wood base, painted gray, and then washed with Citadel Black and brown washes. I also put some PVA glue down and sprinkled some sand down to break up the floor. I also dripped some Citadel yellow wash to simulate some pee, and a little diluted red paint for some blood spatter. Water Effects runs down the drain to complete the gross effect. 
Gluing the Rabbit and Block to the floor and I was done. Thanks for looking .









No comments: