Friday, June 21, 2019

The Henschel P.75

Another model for the Luft '46 shelf. This plane was a 2 prop pusher plane.
 From the site - 


 This 1941 aircraft design was to be a possible successor to the Messerschmidt Bf 110 heavy fighter. Although of a unusual configuration for that time, there were advantages (and disadvantages) to its rear wing/forward canard construction.
  This basic design was realized in several WWII aircraft designs, notably the Kyushu J7W1 Shinden and Curtiss XP-55 Ascender . Although good results were obtained with a model in the wind tunnel, this design was not followed up.


A typical Unicraft kit, it will make a nice model - with a lot of work.  After getting the fuselage halves together, and lining up the wings we see the wings are too long for where they fit on the fuselage.
At this point I noticed that the two curves of the fuselage were different (red arrows). There no way I'm going to take the time to fix that, so I just sanded the wings. 

Everything together, let the filling and sanding begin.

 At this point I was adding the vertical fin on the bottom of the plane. Looking at documentation it looked like there were two props on the plane - couldn't tell by looking at the box art. However the hub showed no spot for the 2 sets of props.  Looking it up, there was indeed two sets, so I had to create a cutout to indicate the 2 parts of the hub.

Looking, I couldn't find the parts for the  front winglets. Checking the image of the box, no winglets. I either lost them right away or the kit didn't come with it. Time to get out my sheet styrene and create my own. I used the full sized image on the instructions as a guide.

I couldn't delay it any longer. It was time to add the propellers. Looking at the kit parts... they are terrible. It looks like the sculptor made his own by laying down the form and then squirting filler into the form. This was no good and I'm not even going to waste time trying to sand them down to shape. By chose is to cannibalize a kit, or just create acetate disks, and pretend the plane is in flight.

In the meantime, I put down some primer over the craft. Thanks for looking. Check back for more.


No comments: