Monday, January 19, 2015

F5-D A Break Needed: Looking at the Yeti

Haha. You can tell I haven't done a craft in a while. The F5-D seams are giving me fits. So much so that I needed to put it down for a little bit. 
so I turned my attention to Moon Devil's Yeti again. This guy has been sitting on the side about 80% finished for long enough. 
While he was waiting he suffered a fall and the toes of one foot were taken off. Thank goodness the break was clean and I was able to reattach the toes with little or no hassle. I did notice what looked like a tiny stress crack in the leg and quickly fixed it with the Vallejo Plastic Putty. I'm really starting to like this stuff! 



I also added another highlight coat to his fur. Afterward I gave his fur another mat coat to protect what I've done.  If I learned nothing else from hanging out at The Clubhouse it is to protect my work. While the body was drying, I turned my attention to the base. The rocks have already been done in shades of gray, but to give it a cold feel I gave some shadows with Army Painter's Blue Tone. This stuff is a very nice wash. I'm anxious to try the others in a little set I bought. More on those at another time. 
John Dennett, the sculptor for Moon Devil mentions he includes a little easter egg in some kits he does. This time around - - spoiler alert - -

-he sculpted in a set of prayer beads used by the Nepalese monks. 

I took artistic liberty and base coated the beads and tassel in Vallejo Cavalry Brown (a dark red), then highlighted them in Scarlet. When that was dry I used a final highlight of Clear Orange. I used Army Painters Hydra Turquoise for that one bead you can see in the image. I then mixed a little white in to create a highlight for it. Finally I added Vallejo's Old Gold for the oval bead. I added a *tiny* bit of silver to highlight that color. Next I gloss coated the beads, while mat coating the tassel.  

I started the around the edge of the base with Vallejo's Cavalry Brown (which is a red color). I didn't bother to set up my airbrush and just used a regular brush so this will take two coats. Then I will have to highlight the wording on the base. Finally I will sprinkle some Woodland Scenics Soft Flake Snow around the rocks and base. Then my first MoonDevil cryptid will be done. :)

No comments: