Wednesday, March 4, 2015

MFTW Dracula Bust

Bela has been on the table behind where my computer is for a few months now... just staring...  The bust which IIRC  s a 1:4 scale bust produced by John Deary. The only seam line was a small one across the back of his head. That was quickly cleaned up with the back of an Xacto knife, a file and some Vallejo Plastic Putty.  
When I first got him for some reason I just had to paint the staircase - to see how it looked I thought. But otherwise the rest of him remained unpainted, until tonight.




I always imaged Dracula as having dyed black hair and a pale skin tone (because he can only come out at night). Hehe  So that's how I started him - - 



Oops, I thought I had the hair done in this image, well take my work I gave it a coat of Vallejo Black - 70.950. ;)
Then, I saw the image below online. I'm not sure if it's an authentic color image of Bela Lugosi, or hand tinted. I'm taking it for granted that if the image was hand tinted, it was done having seen Bela in the flesh or another reliable color photo. But in anyway, Lugosi's hair definitely has a brown tone to the hair with a lighter brown toward gray by the sideburns/temples. He's still a bit pale, but no jet black hair --


So this is what I copied.  After I did this I gave the bust a shot of Dull Cote to seal in what I've done so far. Always protect what you've done. If you don't and your next step is a mistake, when you try to correct it you may affect more than one level of paint. Come back again to have a look and maybe the next step or two. Thanks for looking. 

No comments: