Monday, March 2, 2015

F5-D Masking and a Memory from my Childhood

Well, I made it to my LHS today and in addition to buying some Vallejo equivalents to the RLM colors - Yep I have a two WW2 German "x-planes" (Luft '46?) and a soviet  plane that's pretty weird. More on them as I get to them. Anyway, I picked up Vallejo's Liquid Mask in addition to the aforementioned colors. Not knowing how to work with the stuff didn't stop me. After a good mixing and removing a big blob of semi congealed rubber, I applied a layer of the masking to the exposed windows of the F5-D.  One thing I did notice was that as it dried it went from opaque to semitransparent. I'll have to check a You Tube video to see if that's whats supposed to happen and when I'm able to cut away the tape to leave just the windows covered. 


The other thing I went looking for was the Moebius Models Dragonfly! This is "Quest Labs Supersonic Suborbital Aircraft" naturally from the Johnny Quest series that was on in the 60's. I used to watch it all the time. When I saw a good review from a build on Fine Scale Modeler, I figured I'd have to get it.
While there is no scale listed, the kit is 12" long and comes in a dozen parts. The engine exhaust, canopy and retro style base are done in clear styrene. There is a decal for the base. The instructions offers a painting guide and you'll need 4 colors - white Steel, Aluminum and Black. They also offer suggestions for either detailing it as a realistic plane or more "cartoony."  It will go go with my My Favorite Martian spaceship - once I get the PE kit for that and build it up.  ;)  Thanks for looking. 




No comments: