Tuesday, December 11, 2018

The Purple Worm

This was a mini from D&D has been sitting on my To Do shelf for a long time. Following the box art I started in. 
The kit comes in 4 parts - the body, top and bottom hales of the head and a base. 

It was much easier to paint the inside of the mouth before gluing it together. So it got a coat of V's Beige Red. It was at this point I noticed a missing tooth on the bottom jaw. So I drilled a thin wire in and sculpted some Aves to fill in the missing fang.


Again, I got into it and never took and WIP pics. The worm was painted with V's Purple, Then I highlighted with flesh color mixed with the purple. I kept adding flesh to get the different levels of highlighting. 
The teeth were painted with Ivory, and then the whole inside got a wash of Sepia.
Thanks for looking. 




Bah Humbug!!

Staying with the sculpts of John Dennett, I picked up his new release in the form of Ebeneezer Scrooge. This is the Alastair Sim portrayal from the 1951 film.

The kit comes in just 2 parts ~ the bust and the base. 



The first decision was whether to do the figure in B&W or color. Despite the box art being in color the movie was in B&W.  I spoke with the sculptor, who sent 2 colorized pics at the same time I found my own. This is the one I went with - 


Starting to add color - 

Then once again, I got into a groove painting the facial features and forgot to take WIP pics. I used a splatter technique on the base and then applied the woodland Scenics snow with a few layers of PVA. Thanks for looking.




Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Victor Frankensten and his Monster

This time I have another of John Dennett's work in the form of Hammer Films Frankenstein and the Monster from Hammer Films.
I got so into painting that I didn't take any WIPs. So it's more of a Showcase. Thanks for looking. 




 

Thursday, November 29, 2018

Luna 2 Finale

Picking up from the last session, I removed those 2 bottom parts and shorten the wires. Once glued on I gave it a shot of gloss black primer and let that dry. when dry I gave it a shot of V's Metallics Chrome.  

The base was given black primer spray - matte this time, and then masked off the lunar soil, and gave the label area a shot of V's Duraluminum just for some contrast. The soil was then dry brushed in 3 levels of gray paint. even tho the crate was small, I tried to show some rays coming from it.  And it was done. Thanks for looking. 



Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Red Iron's Luna 2

Needing a break from my figures, I pulled out a relatively recent get from Red Iron Models - it's the Luna 2 .
From the site:
Luna 2 (E-1A series) or Lunik 2 was the second of the Soviet Unions Luna program spacecraft launched to the Moon. It was the first spacecraft to reach the surface of the moon and the first man-made object to land on another celestial body. On September 13, 1959, it hit the Moon's surface east of Mare Imbrium near the craters Aristides, Archimedes, and Autolycus. 

 The 1:35 scale kit comes in  10 parts including some wire and a lunar landscape base. It was a very easy kit to build. I had it finished in 2 hours. 
The parts break down including one page of instructions

After removing the pour plug, an interesting attachment point(s)

The bus built and just before  the wire antenna added

Antenna added
 After getting the kit built according to directions, I noticed the two "L" shaped bottom parts were too long compared to illustrations. I will have to removed them and shorten the wires.

You can see how small the bottom parts were...

Thursday, November 15, 2018

MB Medusa

This time here's another potential addition to my Medusa collection. This one is a 1:24 scale injection kit from MB (Master Box) based ion the Ukraine.

The kit comes on one sprue, and as an injection kit, it doesn't have the detail that you would see in a resin kit. The back of the model box also includes a nice painting guide.

Assembly was fairly easy for  what seems to be a short run kit - no tabs, no real placement points etc... it was ready to paint. For this I basically did my own thing.   


Most like the next session will consist of gluing her legs to torso and then it's just a matter of creating a base for her. A little surprising it didn't even come with  a plain disk base...
Check back for the finale. Thanks for looking.

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Deinonychus

The actual full title is Dinonychus: The Wolf of the Early Cretaceous.  With my table cleared, this is my next project. This kit was the result of a Kicstarter a year or so ago. The creative  guy behind this is Nick Fonseca.  His website isn't up but his work can be found on DeviantArt.  

The kit is 1/5 scale and is 24" long. It comes in 8 parts - the face, body tail, 2 arms, 2 legs and a rocky base. 
After a wash, I gave the kit a once over, and there was some small instances of a seam here and there. It took about 20 minutes to get it clean and then the rock was given a black prime, and the dinosaur primer in a tan. Once the primer was on, I found a few more spots that needed a little more cleanup - 

Now normally the paint scheme is modeled after a modern day animal. So I think I'll give this kit a few days to think things over and pick a paint scheme. Be back soon. Thanks for looking.