Friday, August 30, 2019

Good Grief 4

Didn't have much time today, but I did make headway. With the batteries finally in the UV flashlight (torch)  I tried out the resin and it worked very well. You just need to drip the resin into the divot and hit it with the UV light. I saw on GSW's video so it didn't surprise me that when you hit the resin with the UV light, you may see a little puff of "smoke."  The strangest part was that I got a definite whiff of the cleaner Pine-sol. Weird...

I was thinking about adding a tint to the water, as with a lot of things post apocalyptic, everything is supposed to be dirty and ruined. But I figured I made a lot of things dirty so I left this pristine. Thinking too much...  ;) 



The other big thing that went on was I took the rifle/hand into the kitchen, boiled some water in a frying pan, let it come to a boil and then shut the flame off. I gave it a minute or so and then dropped the rifle in.  I left it for tens of seconds and pulled it out of a the water with a spatula.  Having done this a bunch of times I've realized that the resin feels different - a rough kind of feeling.  Having previously turned the cold water on in the sink, I straightened out the bend in the rifle and held it under the cold water until the rifle no longer felt warm. aah, nice and straight.

The next step was to start painting. For the base of the wood I used Red Leather. The wrapping is the same Dark Sand base coat.  Where there will be metal, those spots got a coat of gloss black. I think I'll be using gunmetal for paint. We'll see... Check back and find out. Thanks for looking. 



No comments: