Sunday, September 1, 2013

New Build - Me.P. 1092/3

Newly encouraged from my trip the the Loveland, CO. IPMS Nationals I decided to dive into a new model. For those that don't know or have forgotten (since I haven't been too reliable posting here) My favorite genres to build are real space, sci-fi, and x-planes that lean toward the space or out of the ordinary look. 

 I purchased 4 new kits in CO., but I "found" a kit that I had stashed away from Unicraft.  You can deal directly with Unicraft in the Ukraine, but a terrific garage kit producer is Fantastic Plastic, and they are the authorized reseller of Unicraft kits in the USA and Canada. As some know Unicraft kits are pretty rough and is advertised for the experienced modeler. But as with many garage kits if you want a certain odd-ball subject they may be the only game in town.
My kit for this build is a 1:72 Me.P. 1092/3 - 
The parts are this weird brittle resin, and have a lot of heavy flash that need to be filed/dremeled off. But as I test fit the fuselage parts you can see that even tho it's small, it's rather warped. In this pic you can also see the opening for the cockpit area - illustrating what I mean by being rough.
I could squeeze the parts together and superglue them, but what I did was drop the two parts into "almost" boiling water to soften the parts, I then put them in the bottom of the sink (giving me a flat surface) and pressed them into shape. Once flattened I then turn the cold water on them and the resin re-solidified. Results came out a lot better than the before image.
More soon ...

No comments: