Friday, September 13, 2013

Cleaning the Mess

As I mentioned these kits are rough. So I too my sanding sticks to the wings and tail planes, And they came out pretty good. Though in the pic you can see a big blob in the landing gear bay. I guess part of the mold tore away and resin filled the holes. There's a little more work to be done. Not bad tho IMHO. Here's the clean up job so far - -
(click to enlarge) the one wing looking larger is just the angle of the camera ;)

The next part will be tougher to make nice. This mess is supposed to be the instrument panel (L) and the seat (R) - -
I think because of this, when I get to the canopy, I will tint the glass so you can't look it. This will also have me avoid making an entire cockpit tub.

And finally for tonight we have the landing gear. I think these are the worst parts. Once having a good look I decided I wonder if I could get another cheap kit and "borrow" the landing gear. I also need the kit for the decals. Despite the Unicraft box art showing insignia, the kit comes with none. 
Before I go on, here's what I have to work with - - 
I went out to the hobby shop today (Avenel Hobbies) looking for a smallish 1:72 German plane with a tricycle landing gear. The *only* one there with the correct landing gear was a Hobby Boss Do-335 Heavy Fighter.

I get the kit home, and get right to the landing gear... and... they are 3 times the sizes of the ones I need. Damn! Well, I'll still use the decals. 

Now I have two choices, I can either model the plane with the gear up, or start kitbashing the gear as best I can. That's a decision for tomorrow.

No comments: