Thursday, September 5, 2013

Fuselage Points to Ponder

Tonight we have just a small update (I'll be able to make more progress once my son is back to school). ;-)
I've never been good at thinking ahead with models- to think about how will it be displayed- flying or on the tarmac, or details needing to be done now for once finished especially when I'm just starting. For the display, while I would like to show the model with it's landing gear down, being a garage kit the gear is made of resin and I think after a time it will start to eventually sag.  Also being a garage kit, there's next to no chance that there's going to be a metal after market landing gear. I'm also not about to start casting my own metal gear (just yet).  So I think I will make it aloft and look like it's just about to touch down.

So that also solves problem 2. A some of time when a model is built and displayed on it's landing gear it will be a tail sitter. That means that the weight of the plane is heavier toward the back and will sit on it's rear landing gear and it's tail. To compensate for this modelers often glue bb's or other small weight to make the front of the plane heavier so it's sits on just it's gear. 

Not sure what to do I took some time to dremel out some of the extra  resin around the front to accomodate some weights. I also dremeled out the solid tail piece to make the back lighter.  Oh well...

Here are the before and after pics of that work - - 

(click to enlarge) You can also see the number of bubbles in the resin. Thankfully they are all on the inside.


A lot lighter now, soon I'll be figuring out where the balance point is to make a spot for rod to sit. I'll also have to figure out what I'm going to do to make the two air intakes (the holes at the top of the fuselage) and also how to make the rear opening (below the tail) look like it has a jet exhaust.

But next I'll be cleaning all the parts of the mold release and clean up some flashing and pour stubs. Hopefully I won't have any/many air bubbles.


No comments: