Tuesday, June 4, 2024

TROG!

 Anthropologist Dr. Brockton (Joan Crawford) unearths a troglodyte (an Ice Age 'missing link" half-caveman, half-ape) and manages to domesticate him - until he's let loose by an irate land developer (Michael Gough) to go on a rampage and kidnap a little girl. Crawford's last feature film. 

This 1970 low budget film, which I've never seen has been declared so bad that it's actually entertaining. The budget was so low that Ms. Crawford had to supply her own wardrobe, and was rumored that the costume for the Trog  was actually 1/2 the monkey suit from 2001 A Space Odyssey. That was the reason he was half ape, half man, because they only found half the suit. 

The 1:8 scale model, sculpted by Michael Berglund, and comes comes to us from Escape Hatch Hobbies. The model is in 10 clean parts and are 3 D printed. Once again, in my eagerness to get started I forgot to take a before pic of the parts. Here he is all super glued together.


The parts fir very well, but they do need a little filler. Here I used to last of my Milliput - 


The next job was to fill the holes meant to drain out the excess resin from the 3D printer. Here I used Aves to fill the holes. The reason was to provide a spot to insert pins to hold the figure onto the base. 


Speaking of the base here's the rock base and bolder that's about to be thrown. 


Looking towards the models, there's very few images of the entire monster. Here's what I found - 

 


Painting the figure, the colors are fairly easy to follow. The only change I made is to me, his face is on the gray side. So I matched a little closer to his arms and legs. 




The last image shows him just about done. All that was left was gluing the bolder into his hands - it dry fit perfectly for me until I had glue on the rock. :/    I added dirt and static grass to the base and then I was done. Thanks for looking. 






No comments: