Thursday, August 10, 2023

The Thing - MacReady

 As is my usual, I have 2 or 3 kits going at the same time. So they all usually finish withing a few days of each other. This time I have the character MacReady as played by Kurt Russell. 

The kit is in 4 parts - the bust, each hand, and the base.  The likeness is once again excellent, and the casting job is terrific. Only the slightest work is needed to get rid of a hint of seam line on one side of his head.


 Starting to put the primer on...

As with Norris I went overboard with the under colors. Plus there's a little more color on the icy cliff.

From there is was just a matter of looking at a still to find out he had on a gray t-shirt, blue hoodie and a brown leather jacket. His hair is brown and the Net tells me he has blue eyes. Looking at another still, the wire he uses on the blood test was a red on a white spool. I thought the white would be too stark in his hands so I used V's Sky Gray - a very light gray. 

The wire was a small paper clip cut to size and stripped of a little bit of the plastic coating. The paper clip was also painted red, and the bare metal was painted with V's Copper. The Petri Dishes in the film were clear, but I wasn't about to cut it all away and try to recreate it with clear plastic. I painted it up the best I could to make it look transparent.

For the ice, I saw this YT video where they mixed the Woodland Scenics Snow with some clear UV resin. To me it look a little too clear so I added a drop of white. One drop was way too much and IMHO made it too start.  I used Precision Ice and Snow's winter wash on the spaceship - yep the spaceship is sticking out of the mountain on one sire - That just wasn't enuff color so I mixed up more WS Snow and UV resin, leaving out the white paint and added it on. It really looks like chunky ice.   That about does it. Thanks for looking.




No comments: