Sunday, August 27, 2023

The Jersey Devil

 This kit has been in my stash for a long time. After first seeing it, I had to have it, but once a copy was mine I didn't think I could do it justice, and put it in my pile. The mark on the kit says 2013.  While I consider myself a pretty good novice, I thought I would give it a try.  And the timing was right as my model club (the BPMS), was asking for a kit I would build as part of my pledge. This is where you pledge a model to build in January and by October, you have it finished. 

Back to the kit. This is another from John Dennett's Crypto Legends series. As mentioned the sculpt is outstanding. I don't think anyone has measured the JD, so I have no idea of the scale of the kit. It comes in 10 pieces and a base, made from very clear cream color resin. Here and there you see a hint of a seam line, but a minute or two of scraping and it was gone. 


 With all the parts I figured despite it having tabs, I would pin all the parts. Here's where I ran into something odd. As I drilled into the part it looked like the dust coming out of the hole looked "wet." But when I wiped the drill bit I didn't feel it was wet. Odd.  But something was going on as I was most of the way pinning and gluing the parts the minute epoxy stopped working.  I had heard of stories years ago of kit weeping after they were cure. This was uncured resin coming thru. This situation it didn't come thru until I drilled into it.  switching to regular CA glue solved the problem.


It was time to start priming and thinking of a color scheme...  I drive along side the Pine Barrens on my way to Cape May, so I know whats down there. The sculpt hsd the JD on the edge of a swampy area, so the base is figured out for me. 

Check back for the color scheme of the JD, and thanks for looking. 


 

No comments: