Thursday, December 1, 2022

Yukon Cornelius

 It's been a while... I know :(

Years ago there was a sculptor/producer that was selling kits of the characters from Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. At the time I bought and painted the Burl Ives Snowman. After a little while I went to look for a few more only to find the guy disappeared.

I Would remember it  every Christmas time, but never went any further than to look for the kits. Then suddenly I remembered I had all this polymer clay around, why don't I try my own.

One of the characters that stood out to be besides Santa and Rudolph was the Abominable monster and the prospector, Yukon Cornelius.  So I decided to go with Yukon.

First I found a picture. Then there looked like there was something on his back. an even harder job was to find a pic of him from the back. But I did. It's a 3 pocket backpack with a sleep roll across the top -


 

I got out the Sculpey Medium and started in with the wire armature. I wanted Yukon the same size or a little bigger than the Snowman. 


I didn't plan out the connection of the head and body well enough, so the red in the next images is Aves and my attempt to fill on gaps. Another difference was that I didn't notice all the items in his belt. Then I found out that he originally had a gun, but somewhere that faded away. The other mistake I made was to sculpt the mustache out of regular clay. After snapping a piece I cut it all off and replaced it with Cosclay. This stuff is great. After it's baked it acts as if it rubbery. Now it can get bumped and not break off.


Next was the painting.  It was here that I found that some of the pics had him in a blue suit, but others in a green. I always remembered blue so that's what I went with. The finale pics show him on my work base. But since then I created an ice flow for him to stand on. Thanks for looking. 



No comments: