Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Mothman

 This is another kit that was deep in the pile. My favorite Cryptid, Mothman! I'm surprised I waited this long to build it up. 

I picked this up from Jean StJean Studios. It came in 5 parts of gray resin. There were very few noticeable seam lines, and clean up was very quick. 


 Now, the typical description of the monster is a black being with wings, and bright red eyes.

But being that a lot of nice detail was sculpted into the wings, I couldn't just leave the entire thing black. The wings had "eyespots" on the inner and outer wing, so I mimicked the eyes with some of V's Black Red. Toward the top of the "eye" I lightened the red a bit. 

 

Then there was this crosshatching along both sides of the wings. I gave that some light gray on the outside and a darker gray on the inside. 


 

From there the body was painted in V's Black Gray, and then highlighted with some Medium Dark gray. The creases got a was of Nuln Oil. But then I didn't want it to be too monotone, and gave the whole thing a misting a Army Painter's Blue tone with the airbrush.

The eyes were painted gloss black, in prep for V's White Aluminum, and then some Transparent Red.

The base is rubble with the creature perched on some of the iron bridge remnants. I have the rubble a few browns and blacks, and the iron was painted steel, with a few different rust colors. I then added dots here and there of the Molotow Chrome for sparkle.  I looked up and found an image for the newspaper for the day the Silver Bridge collapsed. As soon as I get more ink for my printer, :P  I'll print that out an add it to the rubble. 

Thanks for looking.

 



No comments: