Friday, April 10, 2020

Wicked Witch's Flying Monkey

This little project turned to be a very quick finish. I guess I had what I wanted to do already on my head. The kit came from a "Co." on Etsy called Dellamorte. They offer a rotating number of statues, that are sometimes painted up in various finishes that are meant to just be taken out of the box and put on display.  This Monkey which is perched on a turret roof, came primed in black with a white dry brushing which reveals a TON of details he sculpted in. I wanted to give him a real paint job.
Looking at the Wizard of OZ monkeys, they had gray fur with a blue jacket with red trim. Since I also just looked at the newer POTA movies, I remember them as a dark brown with a lighter face. I think I'll do a combo.

Being he was already primed, I started in with V. Black Brown, and then added a first highlight of Leather brown. 

The jacket and helmet got a dark blue and I lined where the red would go with white to help the red stand out later.  I also gave the fur a dry brushing of medium gray.
 While I waited for all that to dry I gave the roof a coat of one of the copper colors I had, and then gave it a patina of Citadel's Nihilakh Oxide. I ended up going back and forth with this a few times until I got the ratio of tarnish I liked.

The wings were next. They were already mostly black so I gave them a mist coat of the same black brown, and then a dry brush of the medium gray. The feathers also had a TON of detail.
 I painted up the monkey's face with a beige brown and did the eyes with V's English Uniform (which as a bit of green in it), and then added a tiny bit of Ivory to the eye color to make the sclera. 
I also added a few mist layers of a lighter gray to the wings and then a bit of the pearlizing paint to give it an odd shine.   Added a gloss coat to the eyes and he was done. 
Not a lot of effort was made to have the sculpted monkey fit perfectly onto the roof top. So instead of doing surgery, I fitted it for the best look and left well enough alone.  Thanks for looking. 





 

No comments: