Sunday, March 3, 2019

Real Space Vanguard and Explorer 1

I was given this brand new kit, from Rob Schorry, the creator of the models, that was produced by Real Space Models.  Sometimes 1/24 scale probes gives you giant vehicles and sometimes, especially the early ones are rather tiny. This is the case with Vanguard and Explorer 1. 
Vanguard comes in two resin sphere halves, with 6 pieces of wire. Explorer 1 comes in 3 resin pieces and 4 wires.

Vanguard was first and consisted of sanding down the halves to make them spherical - I supposed I could have given it a little more sanding - but didn't want to ruin it. The two halves were glued together, and then it was ready to paint. I didn't have any gloss black primer, so I used regular black and then a separate coat of gloss. Once that was dry I used the Molotow Chrome paint pen and painted it chrome. The solar cells were left black.  When all of that was dry I glued in the 5 wires in, and I was done.


Check back for the explorer 1 build. Thanks for looking.  

EDIT (3/5)
Posting this on social media, there were a lot of comments on how small it is. To help visualize, I'm adding this pic - 
 

No comments: