Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Doak VZ Session 3

Back again for another session. Time and I haven't been the best of friends lately so I'm getting just a short while per session. Tonight I installed the seat, control stick and instrument panel. Doh, I never took a pic of this step. I did wash the cockpit in Citadel Green wash. The CITADEL WASHES are a very thin paint, almost like and ink, that fills areas an easily creates shadows and other areas you want darker than the base coat. Citadel has about 7 or 8 different washes in various colors from black thru yellow. I've seen a number of tutorials on YouTube and felt it was definitely worth the $5 per jar for the "set."
Next on the list was to install the canopy. THANKFULLY  it was made of clear resin vs. the vac formed canopy. I don't know what it is about those vac form canopies, but I always get the chills when I start cutting them into shape.The first thing I have to do is give the canopy a bath in Future Floor Polish. Well, at least it was called Future when I bought my two bottles. Now it's called Pledge Floor Care Finish in the US. It has other names in other countries.  Swanny has a a whole page on Future, and you can find it HERE.
So anyway I dipped the canopy, pulled it out and it smoothed any imperfections out with just two dips. Looks great - 
What I did then was I just touched the canopy to a paper towel to draw the extra liquid off, and placed it to dry. what I also got in a habit of doing was to place a cup over it to keep any dust from landing and sticking to it. After it's dry I can then mask off the windows with Tamiya tape and get ready to paint to canopy frames.
Lastly I made another purchase to try a product. This time it's Vallejo Plastic Putty.
I love the paint so I thought I'd try the putty. The tube simply says "Putty for models in lead, resin, Plaster of Paris etc. Non toxic, non flammable. Water cleanup." Not much as far as directions.
First thing you notice is that it goes on like a smooth cream. I tried first to spread the putty along a seam and then with an old, wet, paint brush. Immediately the putty almost dissolves away. The other thing was that it skins over and the outside starts drying equally as fast. So I re-wet the brush and went it and cleaned up the seam. I then reapplied the putty and this time just let it sit. with the thin needle-like applicator there is very little excess so I just left it and will go back for a look when it completely dries - 
Then I will either take a damp (this time) brush to it again, or just sand away. More soon.


No comments: