Monday, October 29, 2018

Zeppelin Rammer part 2

Picking up the Rammer again. I left off with painting the plane RLM 82 on top, black in front and RLM 65 on the bottom.  The painting guide shows that there is a camp pattern on top of the wings. It doesn't mention what color, so I just went ahead and used the RLM 65 - 


Since there is no pilot and I'm thinking of making an "in action" vignette, I darkened the windows with a black wash.  I also added the decals. I thought I had a pic, but no. I'll get one asap. 

Now thinking about how to make it look similar to the box art - 

I figured there has to be a website for just about everything - and there is. I search "B-17 battle damage" and browsed thru images until I came across this one, of The All American  - 
The story behind this was that the gunners shot down a Bf-109. It goes on to say the plane flips upside down (out of control?) and the wing slices thru the fuselage front to back. You can read an account HERE .
This is going to be my inspiration.  

Next step was to look for a 1/72 scale B-17. Obviously since I only need the back 1/3, I wasn't about to pay a lot for it. As if on cue I get Megahobby's email newsletter, and after a short look, I found an Airfix Memphis Belle for $17!  Sold.  Since the Belle was too famous to destroy like that, MegaHobby also had a set of generic B-17 decals. I bought those as well. 

Getting the kit, the first thing to be done is cut away anything I'm not using. I made my cut right behind the ball turret.  Then I took a pencil and drew out where I wanted the damege. Then it was time to take the dremel to the plane.
Having cut out what I wanted, I added back in some of the ribbing - 

More details will be needed, but this is it for now. Thanks for looking.

 



No comments: