Friday, October 12, 2018

Medusa Finale - The Scales

Well, I sat looking at the scales for 2 days, before deciding to go ahead and use them. I don't know if I mentioned it, but they came from Fallout Hobbies.

They are cut from a adhesive backed paper. You get 3 different sizes of scales. I used the smallest ones on her back, and the middle size on her thighs.
The first thing I noticed was that the adhesive works very well. So I stuck a section to my pants a few times to reduce tackiness. 
Next is to get the stencils evenly over the model. Fitting it over compound curves turns out to be a bit more tricky than I expected. 

I decided that I would go to the Chameleon Colors and used one that turns from green to blue, and sprayed. The paint went on w/o incident. The instructions say to pull slowly, with even pressure as to not rip the stencil. However nothing was said about pulling the paint off. despite reducing the tackiness, that's what it did in a tiny spot on her back. Thankfully I was able to repair that. 

Now I'm gun shy. Do I say "Nope" and just repaint the back with flesh and forget the scales. Nope I move forward and add the scales to the thighs. But beforehand I to the stick the stencils to my pants again. I put them on, spray, looks good, and in pulling the stencil off, more paint goes with it.  Arrrgh. I make that repair, and then for the thigh that's on the "back side" of the dio, I put the scales on backward - tacky part outward, spray and that worked. 

So it's done and I'm still not sure I like it. I will post again if I decide to get rid of the scales. 



 

No comments: