Friday, September 2, 2016

Heinkel He-178 part 2

More progress was made on this plane. The first thing done this session was to mask off the areas to be metal and apply the metallic colors. The instructions call for 2 different metallics. They recommend a "polished" metal and a "natural" metal.  They had "H" designations to the colors. Since I use Vallejo, I chose White Aluminum and Steel. To my eye, the colors still looked too close, so I will add a thinned layer of Smoke to the natural metal color.


Pulling off the masking tape, I looked up the conversion for RLM 2  (I think I said it was 4 earlier, sorry) and it turns out to be V's Green Gray.

After that I once again turn to my Metallics set and brushed on some burnt metal to the exhaust port.

While this model has it's problems and will definitely be a "2 footer"*, it's not looking too bad.

 Feeling ambitions, I took some of my 1.5mm tape and created seat belts. I did this because test fitting the canopy, you could see right in and it looked a little bland. The 1.5 is still too wide, but it will do for now. 


I didn't take a pic of it yet, but also during this session I added the canopy. I didn't fit correctly, but I just creatively painted it to make it blend in. Thanks for looking. 


* A "2 footer" is a model that will look OK from 2 foot away, don't look closely. ;)

No comments: