Wednesday, September 11, 2024

The Origin of Lowbrow - Flintstones

 This kit I first saw on You Tube or the Net, and since the Flintstones were a big part of my childhood as a kid, I had to have.  The kit is from Iceman Collections and parts are all 3D printed.All the parts are very well done, and the grow lines have all been well hidden - except for Wilma. But her sculpt is so dainty that I didn't want to mess with her too much.

I started out with the vehicles, and since it's made up of stone and wood, grays were used for the stone and a light brown was sprayed on first, then streaked with a darker brown for the grain was added with a thin brush. Finally a was of Citadel's Agrax was put over the top. While I had the brown out, I also painted the frame for the top.


 While that was drying, I turned to Fred. Having seen Fred a zillion times, I was well aware of his dark hair skin color and orange suit. The only thing I had to search for was the color of his tie. I this version he got a little soul patch which needed to be painted, and the weird part was he has no eyes - he'll be wearing shades later. He also has a stub of a cigar. So that will need some paint too.

 



While that's all drying, I turned my attention to Wilma. This version is showing a lot of skin, so I started out with my usual deep pink to start the skin tone. 


 From there I used Vallejo's Game Air Flesh for the skin tone. Then followed up with her white dress, shoes and necklace. Then the red hair was done, starting with the darkest color.

 

Coming back later, I gave her a face with lashes, blush, and eye shadow. Glad I had my Opti-visors! :) 


 With the figures more or less done, it was time to try and put everything together. This model, like all 3D designed models I've dealt with so far, have tolerances so tight that unless things are put together in such a way, things won't fit. The parts I saw that I noticed Fred, the steering wheel and the seat. Fred and the seat was fairly fiddle-y and it took a little negotiating to get the steering wheel into his hand and into the spot for it. But he was in there. Also as seen below I got the glasses on. They were VERY fragile. I wanted some of that changing iridescents from Green Stuff World for the lenses, so a glass black went down first, then two dots of the green to blue changing paint.


 

Wilma is only attached to Fred/the car by her tiny hands, so so sort of base was needed. I took one of my ovals and adhered it to some foam and then used the hot wire cutter to get the shape. From there I mixed up some of my black Mod Podge with some saw dust for texture. I added a little water to make it a bit thinner, and then with a palette knife to add it like icing on a cake. Being very wet it's time to dry it. That's where we will stop for now. Check back for the finale.


No comments: