Wednesday, July 19, 2023

The Patterson Bigfoot (1967)

 This next bust comes, once again, from Gillman Productions.  The bust is approx. 1/4 scale and comes in 2 parts - the bust and the base. As usual the kit is spotlessly clean and work can begin almost right away. 


 

This bust is to represent the 1967 Bigfoot that was filmed by Roger Patterson, and Bob Gimlin along a logging road in northern California. It was said that the film was taken on October 20, 1967, but some critics believe it was shot earlier. Gimlin mostly avoided publicly discussing the subject from at least the early 1970s until about 2005 (except for three appearances), when he began giving interviews and appearing at Bigfoot conferences.

 


The film Shows him a very dark creature. But I thought a little artistic license would work as I would create a sort of  OSL (Object-source lighting). Tru OSL is when the lighted object is part of the sculpture, but in this case I decided to use a setting sun of the the side of the beast. 

It was just a case of basic layer painting, some highlights and then adding detail around the deeply sunken eyes. The flat back of the bust and base gave me an idea for something different (for me).


 Using various shadows of browns from almost black thru a reddish cork color I added the highlights and shadows according to how I added the primer.  Also looking up gorilla eyes, I got an idea of what I wanted this guy's eyes to look like. 



 

For the base I decided to call out my inner Bob Ross. As a teenager my parents had gotten me one of his paint sets, and I used it quite a bit, but that was 40 years ago! But I gave it a shot and came up with this woodland scene. The Bigfoot, rocks and downed trees were done in bas relief on the base.  I don't think it's all that terrible. Thanks for looking. 




No comments: