Thursday, June 28, 2018

The Marauder Part 2

With the repositioning and puttying done, it's time to paint. Looking at screen shots, the animal is mostly gray and more gray. Too boring - so I decided I'd put a little patterning on it.  
But first I painted the mouth - again adding a little color. The mouth was washed with  some purple, added highlights of flesh color to the high points, and then washed it in Army Painter skin wash to even it all out. The teeth were painted in pale gray, and still looked a little dark so I gave it some gray white to brighten it. I clear coated the mouth with Satin and then glued in the mandible- 
You can see a little of the mottling on the legs - a black wash over a gray basecoat. The creases were sculpted a little heavy handed in some places. I didn't want to accentuate those, but the dark wash went into some of the other larger creases. 

Turning to the wings, I base coasted the bottom skin parts with flesh, and then did the vein squiggles with purple. In the film you see their guts a sort of green blue when exposed, so why not purple under the skin? ;)  When dry I added a mist coat of gray to put the "veins" under the skin. 
Its a little hard to see, but I also airbrushed purple stripes to the bottom of the eye stalks.

For the top, I just outlined the bony parts and then did some black wash squiggles - with a brush this time. Squiggles closest to the bones got a second layer, further away got just one. Thanks for looking. 
 

No comments: