Tuesday, June 26, 2018

The Great Cthulhu

Who? The best answer to this question is found in Lovecraft's tale "The Call of Cthulhu". Cthulhu is a monstrous entity who lies "dead but dreaming" in the city of R'lyeh.
In Lovecraft's story only the physical description of the monster was given; no colors or anything like that. So that part is up to our imagination. 

The kit came in 5 parts and was nicely cast in a cream resin. There were a few bubbles, but no real indications of seam lines. Here he is just resting on a coral or volcanic base as I glued the head on and Aves on the neck. You can see the wings in the background - 
The wings are fairly thin and I had to think of how I was going to build this. Do I just want to build it and never transport it anywhere? No. I decided the answer was to install magnets to  take them on and off for transport and then display. But first I needed to mask the seamline. So out came the Aves and I made a little ridge to disguise the join line -
Then the magnets. You can also see the the body has been connected to the base. The tail was actually part of the base. So the seam to be filled was on the rump - 
Thanks for looking.

No comments: