Monday, April 30, 2018

Vic Torry's Spaceship

Vic Torry and his Flying Saucer was a pulp comic released in 1950 at the height of the flying saucer craze. In one episode Vic, an aviator, and his girlfriend are given a flying saucer by a dying alien. Getting in, it is programmed to return to the home planet of Mercury. They land amidst a civil war...

I picked this kit out of the stash after the Moon Suit and Charon builds, I wanted something simple. Looking it over I don't think I could get anything more simple. 
The Atlantis kit is 4 parts of yellow styrene for the saucer and 4 parts of purple for the base. It also comes with a card stock cardboard of pages of the comic. It also comes with a little blinking LED, but I'm leaving that out.
 The one thing that confused me about the model is that the kit is yellow plastic, the saucer in the comic is yellow, and a lot of the models I see built are painted from a yellow through a gold color. But right in the first page of the comic, the script says the saucer is silver! 
Hmmm.  I will be painting my saucer silver!  

Looking the kit over and test fitting, it's apparent that there are no windows, so I will have to add them later. But first I blacked out the interior so it hides the yellow and the fact that there is no interior. 
You can see that the two engines have also been attached.
I then closed the two halves up and puttied the seam around the edge.  After that. I painted the craft Vallejo's gloss black primer to be ready for V's Metallics. 

I like their Duraluminum color. But that's for next time. Thanks for looking


No comments: