Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Carver

Just in time for Halloween, we have The Carver. This is an original kit from the mind of Jean Louis Crinon.
The kit came in 3 pieces - the head/body/base, then the pumpkin, the knife blade is the third. The kit also included a length of wire which you form the hair strands.
This was one of the 4 kits I was doing at the same time and rather than stop to take pics, I just kept going so there are only a few.
While I stuck to how it was painted on Crinon's site, the model reminded me of an old mouldy sock puppet with evil on it's mind from being left for 50 years in the barn.   Oooooh!  ;)

Here's the inspiration IMAGE.

Going after a burlap bag type head, I found an orange brown in the Vallejo paint range. An olive green followed for the shirt. The floor was simply done with a cork brown and then washed over with Citadel's Agrax Earthshade (I love that stuff). The pumpkin was base coated in a Citadel Orange. (I can never remember the name).
Then it's socks were done in Vallejo red and ivory. I also did the nails in the floor and the stitches on it's head with Vallejo Burnt Metal metallic color. I added a Citadel green wash to make the burlap mouldy, and then went over it closer to the button eyes with Nuln Oils to make the buttons stand out. Some Nuln Oil also went into the buttons to highlight the thread.
Finally I put his hair in. One hole was apparent, but the other two had been filled in. So I just used the site's image as a guide and added the others. The strands got painted black. I then highlight the pumpkin, and painted the stem with Black Green, followed by and olive green for the highlight. 
The knife blade was added and painted Vallejo Aluminum metallics.

I weathered up the socks a bit. With a piece of scrubber pad I included some dried blood made of Cavalry Brown to the shirt. Not know how to leave well enuff along I also added a few jabs of the scrubber pad with some red. 
Here's the final result. Thanks for looking.




No comments: