Friday, October 28, 2016

Sandor Clegane

Who? Many people know him better as The Hound from the HBO series Game of Thrones. This is another kit from Gillman Productions.  He came in two parts - the bust and the base. Once again, it's a very clean kit with one tiny bubble, and seam lines that are extremely thin. 

I don't have many early stage pics on this one because I got back into my bad habit of having multiple kits on the bench at the same time. So I would just go from one to the next to the next and back again.

The first image I have is after getting his face and scar done - 
Looking at this image I thought WOW that looks too raw, and decided to have a look. Well, it seems that over the seasons his scar went from very red and fresh looking to very pale. So anyone painting this kit has a wide leeway of how the scar could look. 
From there I added color to his beard and clothes. I wasn't sure if these clothes came from an actual  scene or made up by the sculptor. Not feeling in the mood to search 6 season worth of wardrobe changes, I mad his shirt gray and jacket brown, and while I was at it I painted in the eyes. Wikipedia says they are brown.

 Next up was to tackle the rock work on the base and the what I think is a wax seal.  The rocks were simple a series of gray washes and dry brushing. The seal started with Citadel's Khorne Red, then highlighted in a few stages with Mephiston Red, Evil Sun Scarlet, and finally ... I forget the name orange. Oops. ;) 
Next, the jacket needed a little something. So I took an orange and made little chevron shapes to each of the brown squares to indicate a highlight. Also, along the bottom of the base is sculpted in grass. So I hit that with a little olive green, and gave it a wash with one of Citadels green washes to darken it down a bit. - 
Here's where I had a minor disaster. Seems to be a recent regular for me that something goes wrong nearly at the last minute. I sprayed some of the Vallejo Matt Clear, and as it was drying, I could see it frosting up. Suddenly Sandor had gray hair!!  Arrggh!  Thankfully a quick coat of Citadels Nuln Oil got rid of the gray. After that I used DullCote over the figure and just glossed his eyes calling this one done. Thanks for looking. 






 


No comments: