Monday, October 3, 2016

Finishing Flash Gordon

Ok, all done.  
But picking up from where we left off last it was just a matter of getting his head on his shoulders and then tackling his helmet. Finally the base was done.

I was glad I checked as I was going to put the head on and then put the bubble helmet together and just simply slip it over his head. Nope won't fit. So, the head went on and then the back part of the helmet was fixed onto his shoulders.  There has been talk of what to do with the seam line.  Some have bought an aftermarket helmet. Others simply said they are not going to worry about it. I fell in the not worrying about it category. But what I did was put a black edge on the front part. I had previously taken a little piece of lead wire (from Bass Pro Shops, I think)  and put a dot of PVA glue on the tip. This will mimic a microphone. I then attached the front piece to the back part.
Looks good but there's no real support of the microphone. It just sorta sits there inside the helmet. The blackened edge didn't really show up as I had planned. I needed to do something else.  In the end I too the simple route. I took another length of the solder wire - which is incredibly flexible - and curved it around the outside of the helmet from where the microphone was to where the helmet met the neck ring. A touch of superglue wicked the glue along the length of wire. I then took a file and VERY gently sand the tip so that it looks like it's angling into the helmet. Some black paint finished off the illusion. 
Next I turned my attention to the base. The one that comes with the kit is actually two small bases. One for Flash that has a large crater, and the Martian had a tiny one, with a tiny crater. I didn't like this. But I wanted to include the craters. I cut them off and arranged them on the base -
Those other marks are just where I scored the wood so the Celluclay would lock down. The Celluclay was next -
I made it a little uneven for variation, but had to keep it level enuff for the two figures to stand.  
Once the Celluclay was dry I added some sand around the base - 
Color was next. As It's Mars I added various orangy browns and oranges. Pics of Mars always show few rocks that look black - so I added them in as well - 

The next was how to get Flash to stand on his base. I didn't thing the wires thru the feet would do it - tho it worked for  the Martian. Since Flash is pretty lightweight except for where I put the Aves in his feet, I ended up getting out some magnets and adding them to both the feet and the base. You can see some circles (magnets) in the base.  Once all the magnet glue was dry I added him to the base. I took the supplied sign, chppoed off the feet, added wirelegs and then after a black primeadded two tone lettering. A coat of satin clear on the sign and the model is finished. Here's my Flash Gordon. Thanks for looking -







No comments: