Thursday, June 29, 2017

Paleocast's Lepidoderma mazonense

This is probably my last aquatic "dinosaur" kit for a while. It's the Lepidoderma mazonense, commonly known as a Sea Scorpion
I don't remember how I found it on Etsy, but it's from an artist called Paleocast. The kit comes with just the animal. 


The base is a re-purposed aquarium decoration I got from Pet Smart. Pet Smart has a lot of terrific looking resin decorations - rocks, corals, trees, branches, etc... The very bottom is a simple pine base topped with sand my my nearby beach.

The model is one piece - the animal. Despite being well packed, one of it's legs was snapped off. It snapped cleanly and was super glued back on with no problems.
The only thing that looked odd to me was that the legs seemed to be connected to nothing as well as that appendage hanging out the back. I didn't research the anatomy figuring that it really wouldn't be seen, so I just connected everything with some Aves Apoxie Sculpt. 

The next thing was to paint the animal brown, and then with a piece of sponge, dabbed an orange brown of the model. Then washed it in Citadel's Agrax Earthshade. He's standing on his head while he dries, as I look at what pine base will fit the animal and little resin decoration (in the background).

Finally I carefully drilled a hole in the thin body and one on the coral. A clear acrylic rod put him in place.  I added my beach sand and then toss on a few tiny shells from the beach to finish off the front. For the back (which was pretty empty) a created a trilobite with some Aves. 
To finish it off I mist coated the whole thing in a thinned down Turquoise and gloss clear coat to make believe it's all underwater.  
Thanks for looking. 





No comments: