Thursday, June 22, 2017

AWIL Jack

One the bench was Jack, from American Werewolf in London.  Poor Jack was cursed to walk the Earth as one of the undead until his pal David, ends the wolf's blood line.

The kit is just two pieces of resin - the bust and the base.
It's a very good likeness of Griffin Dunne. After doing so many busts, I think the sculptor or producer could be a little more imaginative with the facial features. This one like others make it look like Jack was posing for a Founding Fathers marble sculpture. Since the undead Jack was the comic relief, even this screen grab would have been a little better IMHO - 

Anyway, here's the screen grab I used for my paint up - 
 As uaual I started with the two tone primer and then got the skin base coated -

Then I take a side step by dropping it and the pin for the base goes flying across the room. So a brass replacement was installed - 

 From there is was a matter of base coating the rest of the figure. His hair was done in a brown black, with a leather brown highlights. While many give him a green jacket, to me it was a little more tan than green. So I mixed Vallejo's Olive Green with Iraqi Sand and IMHO it looks a little closer to the screen grab. You can also see in the grab that Jack is in need of a shave. So I added some day old grown under the nose and on the chin- 
From there it's on to the blood. I've always had the opinion that less is more when modeling blood. This was going to test me, as Jack's neck wound was very well sculpted.  I mixed several brown, black and red washes to get the look of dried blood. Then a little purple wash was added to what I see as bruises in the screen grab. Finally some Vallejo Red to add to the fresh ooze.
Turning my attention to the base. there's a moon with some clouds and the words "Beware the moon"  which is what Jack tells David at the end of his first visit. I painted the rock base a light gray, then washed it with Nuln Oil. Then I took various light color grays and splattered with low PSI to create tiny dots of color. 
I then glossed the eyes and gave the wounds a coat of gloss to make it all squishy looking, and I was calling it done. Thanks for looking.






No comments: