Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Marooned XRV

A third of my "I'm not at WonderFest" builds is Fantastic Plastic's  XRV from From the 1969 sci-fi drama Marooned.  IMDb says :  
Three American astronauts are stranded in space when their retros won't fire. Can they be rescued before their oxygen runs out?
There are many images of the XRV from both movie screen grabs, and behind the scenes photos - 


We start out giving all the parts a once over -

 

It's a fairly simple build. The parts went together easily- 





Really the only parts that needed attention was the two part canopy - 

 Taking care, parts of the front wind screen need be shaved away and if you go a little at a time and keep testing the fit, it makes a nice connection to the fuselage-
You get two sets of windows. Below is the "before"; top is the corrected.
 The only mistake I made was that I wanted to try making an inflight model - there's is no landing gear - and have the clear acrylic rod exit thru the engine bell.  I used a drill bit that was a hair to big and despite going very slowly, managed to knock off the part of the bell that connects to the ship.
The part was large and I was able to put the engine bell back together, but now it has a slight list. :-/  
The inside of the engine itself is empty, so for it to accept the clear rod, I packed it with Aves - 
When cured I drilled into the engine/Aves and this part of the build is complete.

I thought I had more images but the build was so easy I apparently just moved along. Here it is about 99% done. I tried to pour my own base, but something went wrong with the mold so it's now used as a practice base to get the curve of the acrylic rod  - 
Thanks for looking. Check back for the finished spacecraft.

No comments: