Thursday, February 11, 2016

Translating a Japanese Paint Guide Solved

Well, that was quick. I posted my question on the SSM forum, and in a matter of hours I had my answer:

White numbers in black boxes are Gunze Mr. Color Lacquers:
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_mrcolor_map.htm

Black numbers in white boxes are the aqueous acrylics:
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_gunze_map.htm

Simple as that. Now transposing the Gunze colors to my Vallejo was a bit more difficult. For one, Vallejo had an excellent online guide that matched their paint up with 5 or 6 others including the Federal Standard ~ gone.  
Luckily I had it printed out and was just a matter of remembering where I put it.
Some colors ended up being easy - White is white and silver is silver. But some were a little more difficult, including the Gunze color number not being in either the Model Color (VMC) or Air Color (VAC) chart.  So I had to convert the Gunze code to FS code and then see if the FS code matched with VMC or VAC. After an hour of which should have taken 5 minutes, I had success. The big plus was that I had all the colors I need! Thanks for looking.

No comments: