Saturday, February 13, 2016

Paleocraft's Dunkleosteus Build

Still taking a break from my "machines', the next critter on my bench is Paleocraft's Dunkleosteus. From their site: 
Approx.1/20 scale, (15.5 inches in length). 6 piece cast, body, lower jaw and pectoral fins separate. Included is a resin coral reef styled base as well as an oval pine base for display. The model comes unpainted easy to assemble with a minimum amount of preparatory cleanup before being ready to paint.
Dunkleosteus is an extinct placoderm fish that lived until the Late Devonian period about 380-360 million years ago.  The largest grew to approximately 33ft and was the top predator in the seas at that time. 

The kit: This is another one my my stash of kits that was purchased long ago and put in the pile. As the description says it comes in 6 pieces and includes a wooden base.

 
Image from Paleocraft


Like many people do, when the kit arrived, I opened it up and gave it a good once over. Unlike many people I have a tendency  to put the model back in the box, put it away, and then to come back and see a bag of parts that I forgot to put back. Being lazy at times I put it in my drawer with the thought "I'll remember where it is when I want to build it."  Needless to say that the baggie with all four fins have been missing for years. They were only found a few weeks ago and this is why I'm building it now.

Also in the baggies was the tail, which had snapped off during delivery. Taking a good look at it there seems to have been an enormous bubble which left very little resin to hold the tail on. The first thing I did was to grab the Aves and get to work repairing the tail -




Next thing to do was to permanently attach the jaw to the fish. It friction fit very well, but to make all the seams and gaps go away it needed to be glued into place and then more Aves was applied. 
Finally for this session, I cleaned up the seam that ran laterally down the top of the fish. The armored part of the head had a lot of detail on it. The caster looked like he used a power tool to get rid of the cast marks. Some was still left, but he also smooth over some of the detail. So I had to try my best to bring this detail back. Perfect ~ no, but I tried...
Before

After
 Finally to have a real look, I primed all the parts I worked on.
In this image you can see I also glued the fins to the fish. They will need some putty and/or Aves. Thanks for looking.

No comments: