Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Two at a Time

With the days still cold here, I'm getting a lot of time at my model table. I've been letting Twisty dry for a few days,  and then I applied the color to his irises. IMHO John Carroll Lynch has light brown eyes, so that's what I attempted to mimic here - -


Now I just have to build up the courage to apply the white face over his skin and add the black around his eyes.

Next I had a New Ware model of the Mercury Laboratory Atlas. I picked this kit up from a fellow modeler over at Yahoo's Space Modeler Group
In 1959-1960 Mercury was the only launch vehicle approved for the manned space program. In 1960's NASA's budget, one of the proposal was to be a sort of  small temporary space station. This is a model of that proposal - - 




Sorry about these pics. It's tough for me to image white w/o a photo booth. I have directions how to make one on the cheap. Maybe I should build one of those soon? Eh?  ;) 
Anyway, it's mostly painted up. The capsule got the blue black coloring. The instructions called for the two windows to be blue. The escape tower in red, and the engines were done in a dark metallic which I did my using Army Painter Gun Metal, and then giving it a coat of Citadel's Nuln Oil.   The bottom half of the rocket needs to get a coat of a silver or polished aluminum color. Then a gloss coat - then the decals. 
Thanks for looking. 

No comments: