Saturday, February 21, 2015

Return to Armstrong's F5-D

I turned my attention today back to Neil Armstrong's F5 Skylancer.
Where we left off I was having problems with making all the seams disappear. I ended up with letting things go as being good enough. The next step was me adding the interior to the cockpit. This was just the seat and the stick. I didn't put too much effort into the interior as I thought you wouldn't be able to see much once the canopy went on. I was partly right. Thankfully I gave a little more attention to the seat.




After giving the vac-formed canopy a dip in Future and letting it dry,  I gave it a good look over. My heart sank a little as the marks for the edge and the canopy/glass marks were very faint. Sigh. Needless to say I lost my way trying to cut the canopy and ended up really butchering it. Lucky for me I got fairly good with the thin nozzle of the Vallejo Plastic Putty - 

After some work I got the canopy glued on and puttied up. Next was looking at where to tape over the windows so the framework can be painted. No such luck!! Grrr! 
I put a piece of Tamiya tape over the canopy and burnished my ass off and I got no demarcations of where the glass/frames were. NONE.
The only thing left to do is paint it freehand from the slight lines I can see on the vac form. I'd say I ended up with a 6 out of 10 job...


This was damn disappointing. I guess next I'll have to do my best to tape over the windows I created in preparation for it's base coating.  Stay tuned. Thanks for looking. 

No comments: