Sunday, February 1, 2015

American Horror Story's Twisty

As I continue to jump around I unboxed a bust of Twisty the Clown from American Horror Story: Freakshow. Twisty is quite the shocker when you realize he's a murderous clown the the bloody scalp of another on his own head. He's quite willing to juggle for you before killing you - - 


The kit is from Mark Van Tine and Paul Gill through Gillman Productions.  The kit comes in 5 pieces - the bust, the base, and 3 pieces of hair that stick pout thru the scalp. 
I start by laying down a base coat - -


I thought I had an image of the base at this time, but no. 
Continuing on I filled in some of the details and now the base is just about finished, the hair tufts have been painted and I have the base for Twisty's irises. Reading an issue of Amazing Figure Modeler, (terrific magazine BTW - a must have if you're into building Figure kits) one of the articles mentions that to get more depth to the eyes, I should give them a coat of mat clear between each step.  This slows the build down a bit but if it works, it's worth it. As of right now I started with ivory (no eyes should be done in white-it's just too white) then clear coat. Then I based the irises i black and now it has another clear coat.  The actor playing Twisty is John Carroll Lynch has brown eyes.
 So the brown will go next followed by light brown streaks in the iris and then the pupil - all with the clear coat in between. That's should be depth! LOL
This is what I have now - -


Besides the eyes he still needs another coat of off white to his costume, then add a little bloody mess to it; the face needs some white clown paint, then glue the hair pieces on and I think he's done.


The base is closer to being finished. The red and white stripes need some highlighting and then there's a small portion of ground that shows. I'll be gluing some sand to those spots and then weathering the sand.  BTW take note of the popcorn - they're actually little tiny skulls. Cool!  
Thanks for looking and more later.



No comments: