Sunday, February 17, 2019

Lily, Dino Huntress

This kit was part of a Kickstarter I saw on FB by Sunshine Figures. The themes seemed to come in 2s and 3s. The were Fantasy (think GoT), Prehistoric, Steampunk and Witches.  Being a big dinosaur fan, I chose two of the Dinosaur Huntresses, Lily and Izzy (Izzy we'll see down the road). 
The kit came in 2 parts the head/body and the arm. The base was 6 parts. The rock base, 2 spears, and 3 prehistoric skulls. The kit was apparently sculpting on the computer and 3D printed. I must congratulate the producers as no grow lines can be see on the figure, and only the faintest evidence of it can be seen when drybrushing the rock.
  
One thing noticed here between the knife and arm is that there must have been a little flash. I understand that the person charged with cleaning it up may have had 100s to do at a time, but in getting through it it seems the they get in there and quickly take it off. In my case it left little holes in the resin where this flas was removed. IMHO I wish they would just leave it, the modeler would take more care in removing it than someone who was doing numerous ones at one sitting. 
Another negative in mine was that there seemed to be a casting problem with the knife. There were bubbles along the edges and it seemed the tip was obliterated by a bubble. Here, the person cleaning it, hastily put some epoxy putty on it. This required some clean up time. With the amount of bubbles, the easiest thing to do would have been to cut the resin one off and add one made of sheet styrene. I decided to "mess" it up more with my dremel and make it look like a stone knife with the jagged edge. Extra work averted.
Starting with my new favorite tan primer, the skin got a coat of V. Barbarian Brown, The hair with German Camo Brown Black - the eyes also got that color. I used Calvary Brown (which is a dark red) but instantly new that was too red for a cave girl.
Getting involved and painting away without pics, I used two of the "Chameleon" colors for the headress, and added a leopard type design for the bra. The irises were done in a dark green, and Iraqi Sand for the sclera. Down the road I will highlight this with Ivory. 
The base was also painted black and then drybrushed with two consecutively lighter grays.

Moving along I painted the spears my usual method for wood on the handles and black and then gray for the stone blades. The skulls were base coated in Army Painted skeleton white, and then washed with V. Brown wash. 
With that I called it done. Thanks for looking.




No comments: