Tuesday, December 18, 2018

The Devonian Tadpole Specimen

This is an interesting little kit from GarageKits.US . It's a what if... what if, before coming in contact with the Creature from the Black Lagoon, the scientists found some of it's tadpoles first. 
The kit is just 2 parts - the head and body, and then the curly Q tail. The kit also comes with a jar and lid to further the specimen feel. 

Knowing the colors for the Creature, I looked at the kit and the head seem to have little detail vs. the body which has very nice armored scales.  I felt the head needed my squiggle pattern to give the animal some life under the skin - 

 Looking good so far, then an unexpected heavy shot of light green on the forehead obliterated most of the squiggles. :-/  So time to add more detail to the outer part of the skin. 

 I added various washes and highlights to the skin and crevices. The eyes went thru 2 or 3 different versions. I wanted them to look real, but then again, it's a specimen in a jar... a dead specimen. So I left them without specific edges to the pupils and iris. I also left them slightly cloudy.  Each paint layer is separated by a shot of clear Satin.


My idea next is to put a blob of hot glue on the bottom of the jar to keep him in place and then the liquid. Still not sure if I want to use tinted water or something else. 
Check back, and thanks for looking.

No comments: