Thursday, September 21, 2017

Jack Torrance - The Shining

This time we have Jack Torrance from The Shining from the studios of Gillman Productions. This is one of my favorite movies and really enjoyed painting up Jack.
This was a simple kit of only 2 parts - the bust/base, and the arms/axe. The resin was bubble free and only a little clean-up of a small seam line in the hair.

At last years Jersey Fest, I attended a demo of doing skin tones. First thing mentioned was to use a red primer instead of the gray or black (or white) as it gives a glow to the upper layers of the skin. So I gave it a shot. I may have used a too dark a shade, but it's what I had -
The base color added, but you can see primer color
While that was drying I took a look at the axe/hands. and added some base color to the hands -
Back to the bust I painted the hair and beard scruff. Later on I will dry brush the skin color over the scruff to tone it down a bit -
The big challenge for me was to try the flannel shirt for the first time. I took a long bristled, series 7 size#1 and went to town drawing the lines. Some of the lines were engraved in giving me a template for the rest. If I were to do it again, I think I would use a gray rather than white for those stripes. despite being white on the shirt -
It was definitely too bright. And I wasn't about the ruin the whole thing trying to dull the white down. So I have this-

Turning back to the axe, in the film the axe is obviously brand new. But my thoughts was that if it was there at the hotel, it would have been older and well worn, if nothing else from the accumulating dust and grime. So I chose to darken the wood up a bit -
I adjusted the skin color a bit, painted his head wound, and then attempted to add the corduroy pleats to the jacket and then called it done. Thanks for looking.







No comments: