Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Bob Burns as Kogar

I was in the need to do something a little quicker than the standard resin kits. So I pulled out Moebius' styrene kit of Kogar. 
The kit comes in a tan styrene, and gives you an option for 3 heads. One is to use the gorilla head for Kogar himself. The second is a likeness of Bob Burns, who is an avid Hollywood memorabilia collector and the man in the gorilla suit. The third is another gorilla head (named Tracy) , but it is made to have a propeller beanie on as seen in the live action TV series of Ghostbusters. 
I chose to make a tribute to Burns by using the human head. A curved arm will also allow me to add the gorilla head as a mask.

Since this was to be a quick build I didn't worry too much about the seams, tho I made sure there was no gaping holes. The toughest to fix was in and around that curved arm.


The head I had done in the same way I do all of my people. I start dark and work my way towards light. Burns had gray hair so I started with a darker color - 


When the body looked complete I added some color - 

Turning to the base. I wanted a wooden bottom, and then to use the foliage that was pressed into the plastic. I found this wacky pre-chewed brush in Michaels and it's just the thing to mimic woodgrain -
Then to just add the greens-

I wasn't too happy with that, so I got out my make shift grass applicator and went to work. I think the mistake I made was to paint the base that dark green color when all I had was the light green fibers. Oh well. Live and learn - 

Time to put Bob in the suit. I found a pic online that shows him without the mask and he has the black around the eyes and a hood. So I added the black eyes, but didn't want him to have the hood on - I thought it made the whole thing too dark- but it would solve the nasty seam across the head.



In the end I made a hood out of Aves, and just draped it around his neck, and painted it black. I added a little dark brown to the fur to give some color and then while the fur was sprayed with a matte coat, I painted around the eyes, mouth, hands, feet and chest a satin to match what I saw in the image. I was calling this done.
Thanks for looking.






No comments: