Sunday, March 19, 2017

Dunkleosteus Build part 2

To see part 1, go HERE .
It was time to paint. I had an idea to use green and a sort of tan color for the  body - 
 As soon as I finished the tan I knew this wasn't going to work. Time to think of somethings else. Looking at the back of the fish and especially the belly part, there is no scales scutes or anything else. So I thought of the way some guys paint skin. They do it by painting little squiggles all over the figure with different color paint. Having never done this before I tried it with black, blue and red paint it turned out looking very busy - 

You see on the second side,  some of the lines are way too thick.  I was having troubles with my airbrush, and rather than stop and fix it I tried to muscle on and complete that side.  I'll just have to make the over coat a little heavier in sections where the thicker squiggles are. 

Taking a break of a day to clean the airbrush which became completely clogged by the time I stopped. I took bits apart but trying to keep major sections together. Didn't work. I got the brush all cleaned out and I was surprised at how much gunk was in there despite me regularly "cleaning" it after each session. So  being cleaned I had trouble putting it back together, thank goodness for a large number of videos on You Tube showing me how to put it back together. 
I also went and bought a cleaning kit and Iwata cleaner

 Back to the placoderm. Seeing many fish, they are dark on top and light on the bottom. So I was going to replicate that. Looking at my paints I found two colors that ironically were both named Gray Green. One was lighter than the other and their respective loc. numbers were 101 and 106. On top I used the darker color and dotted along the back of the animal. The lighter color was sprayed on the rest of the body keeping it light enough to see the squiggles underneath - 


  In the pics you can also see that I added a thinned red wash to the gill area and the inside of the mouth. I also added a brown wash to darken the deepest recesses. Since most fish also seems to have a silvery sheen to them. I mimicked this by giving a light spray with Vallejo silver. Except for a gloss coat, I'm calling the Dunk done.
The base is next. Thanks for looking. 

No comments: