Saturday, July 30, 2016

Resin Realities Bride of Frankenstein

The Bride was one of these models that while I'm not necessarily into,  the kit "spoke" to me in a way where I had to have it.  I *think* I picked it up a few years ago at either a JerseyFest or a Resintopia show that was in NJ. 
The kit, made by Resin Realities,  was fairly simply being only 2 parts. There were a few seam issues but I started off quickly. In my fervor to begin I didn't notice that there was a pretty prominent seam running down her face. So I cleaned off the paint and started on the seam and reprimed - - 
You can see that at this point she has a regular skin coloring. This would change a few times as I progressed. I found  I had Vallejo's Game Color - Dead Flesh.  Remembering a rare color photo of Karloff's Frankenstein was green. I figured that she should be similarly color, tho not as much.  This paint choice hit the bill. However what I did was to add a little white to it to lighten. Also, knowing that Elsa Lanchester had red hair despite not seeing it in the B&W movie, they used her real hair over an armature to create the Bride's special 'do - I painted her hair with a dark brown and then a lighter brown and then Vallejo's Orange Brown as the red highlight. 

Don't use red. Redheads never have *red* hair!

At this point another kit attracted my attention, and the Bride was put on the shelf for quite a while. 
A few days ago, I decided to clean up all my half done models, so the Bride came back to my desk. Looking at the face and knowing it needed a highlight the color I chose previously left me no where to go but to add straight white as a highlight; which I did. But the white was too stark - -
To fix it, I masked the hair and gown off with paper towel and Silly Putty. I then lightly misted her face in V's Buff. I had noticed when I used it previously that it wasn't a substitute for tan but had a bit of green in it.   However this only made her have a yellow cast. So I added a drop of white and a drop of the Dead Flesh and that worked out ok.

Now it was time to create shadows for her gown. I figured the typical blue and gray were already done, so I took some Citadel's Bugman's Glow, added white and used that. I figured the rosy color would be a little more feminine- -


Having the rosy shadows, and the gray primer, all I needed to do is airbrush different densities of white over the gown to achieve the different highlights and shadows. 
To finish, all that was left was to add the eyes. A quick search of Fritz's Paint Guide told me Elsa had green eyes, and adding them finished off this long project. Thanks for looking.



 
 

No comments: