Thursday, September 10, 2015

Moving on with the Cam-23

I managed to get up to the Hobby room for an hour or so yesterday. This plane is so small that it almost looks like I'm building a 1:144 scale kit. 
I left off with the Cam in 3 major subassemblies and got it all primed.



Today I got out the colors and started painting. The color call outs on the instructions listed "AMT" paints. Here's where I had my problem. I use Vallejo paints, and there are no conversions from AMT to Vallejo. Online, I found an AMT to RLM conversion. Then on the Vallejo website, I was able to look up the RLM to Vallejo conversion.  As a sidebar between V's Model Color and Model Air, all the RLM colors are carried. 

My color for the top of the plane turned out to be MC098 Bronze Green (RLM 70) and the bottom is MC064 Pale Blue (RLM 65). BTW, When I refer the MC number - that's the Position number as it's much easier to ID than the stock number. 
The Pale Blue is the typical underneath color that is seen on a number of WW2 planes. The Bronze Green was a little weird. It goes on looking a deep gray, but then dries with a greenish tone. The image is just after I unmasked the plane after appying the Pale Blue --

No comments: