Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Chal Done and Popeye Started

Work completed. I added foliage to my tree and a few grasses here and there. Done.


 

Then I had a sculpted bust of Popeye. My guess is that  the sculptor was going for a 'What would he look like if he was a real person?' 
He was pretty cheap when I got him at one of the NJ cons a year or so ago. Really looking it over I know why. It's pretty crude. As usual I forgot to take a before pic. 
Both the sculpting and the casting is only fair at best. For instance instead of wrinkles, there's gouges in his face that make him look like a slasher victim. Then there's the problem of him having only one eyebrow. Next is his sailor hat. Popeye didn't wear the typical hat, he worn more of a Cap'ns cap.  Ok I can see that to avoid any copyrights problems. The next one can go into that category too. He didn't have an anchor sewn onto his shirt. The anchor was a tattoo on his arm. If it were me I would have left it off (but I'm not about to start grinding it off). Then there's the thing of having fingerprints and some kind of mechanical marks on the sculpt. Dude, get rid of the marks. Lastly is the face has a look like he had his corncob pipe hanging out of his mouth only -- no pipe. I'll have to scratch build that.  

Onto the casting. Bubbles everywhere. Being that on a 1 to 10 this kit is a 4 at best, I didn't bother doing anything extra - just primed him up and started painting. Here's where I am so far. 
I figure I have another hour to put into it  -- 


Thanks for looking.


No comments: