Tuesday, September 29, 2015

A New Prehistoric Project

This time we have David Krentz's 1:72nd scale Chalcotherium. David Krentz is an artist noted for his work is many movies. He has also done a number of prehistoric sculptures.  Originally he sold them himself, but now you can get them thru his Shapeways Store and also Dans Dinosaurs webstore
I never seem to take pics before I start so here's a shot from Dans Dinosaurs of the Chal --
Image 1  

All of Krentz's models comes with a version of the base you see. I decided that since it looks like it's reaching for something to eat, my diorama should be a little more elaborate. I got one of those non descript wooden bases from Michaels and some CelluClay and got to work.

The way I use the celluclay is that it comes as a powder of largish sized pieces, and it's supposed to be mixed  with water. I do this, but also mix in a big glob of PVA or White glue.  I slao don't make the mix to thin.  After mixing I gouge the wood base, which I've previously painted  and then add some more glue onto the base.  The last step is to justr gop it on the wood and pat it down with wet fingers. 

While that's drying I got to work on my Chal. I guess I was in a "dark" mood and decided to paint my guy black with a few other highlight colors. I also drilled a few holes and glued some stiff wire into his feet to help anchor the animal to the base.  Before the base completely dried I stuck my tree and the feet/wire into the drying Celluclay so I would have an idea of where everything fits.  Oh, I also stuck a few tiny pieces of chips from the landscaping bark chips. These chips make awesome rocks once painted up. Don't forget rocks are heavy and set into the earth, and not just sitting on top. ;) Sorry, pet peeve of mine seeing all these rocks on a dio and they are barely making contact with the ground... 
The tree is just a piece of weed from the garden which I painted black, and then gave a quick shot of white from above to help create lights and shadows. Once the tree was stuck in the ground I found where the ground was on the stem and then added some Aves to widen the base to make it look old and also added the impression of some roots, again so it looks like it attached to the ground and not just stuck into the ground like a fence post. Another pet peeve -oh I have a bunch of 'em... Haha. The ground still needs some flora and the tree needs leaves, but here's what I have so far --


Thanks for looking.


No comments: