Sunday, July 9, 2017

I'm Your Hucklberry

This time I have the legendary Doc Holiday, as portrayed by Val Kilmer in the movie Tombstone. I personally think this is one of the best modern day westerns.
The bust is from CGS Miniatures, and is listed as 1/9 scale. IIRC it came in 5 parts to the figure and a "stone" stand for the base. But I traded that out for a brass rod and a rustic looking wood plinth. There are no bubbles in the resin and any seam lines are fine and hard to find. 

Next was to see what colors Doc was wearing during this scene. Looking at the film, he made quite a few wardrobe changes. But the bust seems to be from the end when he meets up with Ringo for the last time.  I made a little collage to bring to the hobby desk. Seems like the top center image is the exact pose that the sculptor used for the bust.
 As usual I start out with a black primer and then give it zenithal light with white primer. From there I base coated the skin and take a look at where it's at - 
In the film Doc has an illness (TB?) so he never really looks rosy. So I tried to match the skin tone with Vallejo Air "Flesh Tone". From there it was a simple highlight of Pale Flesh on the cheeks, chin, and the bit of jowls that he has.
Then I base coated the rest of the bust. His kerchief, hat and vest were all black in the film, but I didn't want it to be to monotonous, so the hat was done in black and ultimately highlighted in areas.  The vest was done in Black Gray then washed and highlighted. Finally the kerchief was done in German gray and then washed in Citadel's Black.


Then I noticed the duster seemed too light. So I mixed up some darker gray with a light brown (some angles in the movie it looks more brown than gray). But it was never dirty looking so I had to avoid that -


From there all that was left was to add the little details. The silver to the badge, and the the buttons on the duster. The buttons on the vest were shiny black, so a dot of gloss worked there. His gun was also silver with a white handle. There was a line of metal thru the handle so that was done with V's Steel. I added the white dots to the kerchief, and the final bit was adding individual dots of gloss to his face, as thru out the film he was constantly sweating - from the AZ heat, or the fact he was sick - I don't know, maybe both...
Here's the final shots on the rustic plinth, thanks for looking.




No comments: