Friday, April 8, 2016

U.S. Moon Ship (part 2)

This time around is 2 sessions combined into one post. I started out to add the decals. They went on very easy but are *very* thick.  For the Star roundels I have to slit the decal to get it to sit down. The checkerboard around the top crew compartment was also a little difficult. In the end I put Micro Sol on the decals about 4 times. Coming back to it a few days later, I see that the decals for the most part have settled down on the model, so I gave it a coat of Satin Clear --
 Next step was the base and the crew. This time around I'm using the supplied base. To make it a little different I smeared some spackle on it, spread it out, and then as it dried using some sculpting tools added the craters -- 
 
These are the tools I used.

 I put the spackle on thin enough so there was no cracks. I primed it all black, then over sprayed it in a dark gray and left it so the black showed in the shadows. Finally, I added a lighter gray where the exhaust would have blown some of the soil away where the Ship landed. I also sprayed the inside of a few craters the lighter colors to simulate newer craters.  I'll show a pic of that next time as I sprayed it all with a DullCote before taking a pic. I didn't want the base to look wet and shiny, so check back for the finale.
For the end of the session, I turned my attention to the crew. The instructions calls for them to be in white, with red backpack (and a few details) and then silver face plate, boots and gloves -- 
 I didn't notice  how bad the flash was until seeing the picture, so I will go in and get rid of it and repaint if needed.
Check back for the finale. Thanks for looking.





No comments: