Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Terror Bird (part 2)

As I mentioned last time the kit was very easy to clean up. One seam of note was the one down the back of the bird. The seam cleaned up nicely, but what was left seemed too blank to me. It's not that the seam eradicated it, it looked like there was never anything there --
So I took it upon myself to add some Aves feathers down it's spine. Looks pretty good to me--
From there, I finished off the seam on the head --




After this it was time to assemble the parts. I saw on a video my modeler extraordinaire, Rafael Robledo Jr, where he used resin to attach parts. I decided to try it.  The first thing I did was to dremel little holes for the resin to solidify in - 

The pic is pretty bad there, but hopefully you can see the little indents. Next is to mix up the resin according to directions, and pour a little into the key. As the resin starts to go off, you'll see it change color. Note that if you are mixing a lot of resin at once it will go off quicker than if you mix up a little bit. So while the resin in the key was just sitting there, the extra resin in the cup started to go off.  
When I started to see the color change in the key, I jammed the part into the key. Depending on how much you used, some of it may leak out. That's ok. While it's still pliable, and if you can hold the parts together with one hand,  the leaked out resin will pull off like gum.  It looks to make a very nice bond, and the resin will fill any imperfections around the seam edges --

It'll just just a few minutes to blend the parts together. Thanks for looking.
 

No comments: